September is Literacy Month!
Date posted: September 1, 2020
September is Literacy Month in BC! This year the theme is “Literacy matters more than ever!” This province-wide campaign raises awareness of the importance of literacy, and raises funds to support community-based literacy programs and initiatives across British Columbia.
You’re invited to join the celebrations. How can you celebrate?
- Use the Literacy Month Calendar to find fun, everyday activities.
- Enter the Literacy Month Contest. Tell us why literacy matters to you for a chance to win a prize.
- Play virtual Team Trivia on September 22nd. Have fun and learn something new.
- Wear purple and share on social media #LiteracyMatters and #PutOnYourPurple. Purple is the signature colour for Literacy Month. Need a touch of purple? Sock it to literacy!
- Watch for BC landmarks to light up in purple on International Literacy Day, September 8th.
Why does literacy matter more than ever? COVID-19 has highlighted how health literacy, digital literacy, financial literacy and workplace literacy can make a significant difference to personal outcomes.