Rising to the Reading Challenges of Adult Learners
Date posted: September 24, 2018
Rising to the Reading Challenges of Adult Learners: Practitioners Toolkit was developed by CanLearn Society to help practitioners work effectively with adults with reading difficulties. The toolkit provides strategies based on findings from both reading and learning disabilities research – strategies that work with all adult learners, including those with learning disabilities. It also builds an awareness of “red flags” for learning disabilities to help guide instruction and decisions about pursuing assessment.
Here are some of the key messages:
* Adult learning practitioners can help struggling beginning readers by using strategies that are effective for adults with learning disabilities.
* Addressing the social-emotional challenges of adult learners is critical to the learning process.
* Practitioners do not diagnose learning disabilities. They can answer the question: “Is it likely, or possible, that this learner has a learning disability?”
* Not all struggling learners have learning disabilities.
* Not all learners with suspected learning disabilities need an assessment. Awareness of the benefits and barriers of obtaining a psycho-educational assessment can help practitioners support adult learners.