Reading Resources Online
Date posted: May 11, 2020
Are you teaching reading skills to adults at a distance? Would online access to reading materials at a variety of reading levels be helpful? Here are some of the places you can find reading selections that can be used with adults who are practicing reading skills:
- CommonLit Library– free collection of fiction and nonfiction at 3rd-12th grade reading levels
- ESL Literacy Readers – from Bow Valley College
- News in Levels– each news story is written at three different levels; updated each week day
- Reading Skills for Healthcare Workers –readings on health topics; intermediate and above
- Reading Skills for Today’s Adults – Leveled library with multiple audio recordings for each story
- The Westcoast Reader– This year’s digital editions are free until further notice. Find accompanying teacher’s notes and additional articles with exercises on the website.
- Unite for Literacy– collection of easy to read, nonfiction picture books
How can reading levels be used appropriately in reading instruction? Reading Levels Unfairly Label Learners, Say Critics. And Then There’s the Research describes some of the current thinking.