Date posted: April 3, 2019
April is National Poetry Month. The theme for 2019 is Celebrate nature with poetry.
The League of Canadian Poets invites you to celebrate the 21st annual National Poetry Month in April with nature – whether it’s mountain ranges, deserts, forests, oceans, or plains; whether it’s a cityscape or a landscape. Read, write, and share poetry that translates the emotional, practical, and reciprocal relationships we build – as individuals and communities – to the natural world onto the page.
Looking for poems about nature? Here are some sources:
- 33 Poems on Nature that Honor the Beauty and Brutality of the Natural World from Book Riot
- Nature Poems – Poems for Nature from Poem Hunter
- Poems: Nature from the Academy of American Poets
And, there are nature poems for children:
- Celebrating Poetry and Nature from Reading Rockets
- Children’s Poets Your Kids Should Know (and Will Love!) from What Do We Do All Day – some nature poetry is tucked into this list
- Nature: Poems for Kids from the Academy of American Poets
And, if you’re looking for an activity that combines poetry writing with an outdoor activity, try Let’s Go On A Poetry Walk!