Literacy and Voting
Date posted: September 17, 2019
Literacy is correlated with civic engagement. Read Frontier College’s Literacy and Civic Engagement: Discussion Paper for background information.
With the Federal Election on October 21st, voting is front and centre as an important part of civic engagement. If you are teaching about the electoral process and voting, here are resources that may be helpful:
- CIVIX Citizenship Education Resources
- Election Day – October 21 – a free article from The Canadian Reader with a news story, lesson plan and organizer.
- A Guide to Voting: A Literacy Practitioner Workbook for Voting in the 2019 Federal Election – download a copy from ABC Life Literacy Canada
- The Power is Yours: Your Federal Election Handbook – a nonpartisan guide for first time or infrequent voters
- Vote PopUp – a voter simulation tool for community-based organizations and local leaders
- Voting – Spread the word – Graphics, guides and videos from Elections Canada. The Guide to the Federal Election is available in several languages.
Here’s a sample video: