Date posted: April 19, 2018
Plastic objects that we use once and discard, or single-use plastics, are a growing problem.
To learn more about plastic pollution, its harmful effects and what can be done about it, read the Plastic Pollution Primer and Action Toolkit. And, to see how much plastic you consume, try out the Plastic Pollution Calculator. The Plastic Pollution Plan and Tracker can help you make a plan to reduce plastic consumption.
Here are a few free online articles on plastic pollution to share with adult literacy students:
- Can we save the ocean? from The Westcoast Reader
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch counts 1.8 trillion pieces of trash from Newsela
- Sea turtles are munching on plastic garbage floating in the ocean from Newsela
- Ten “stealth microplastics” to avoid is you want to save the ocean from Newsela
- Twizzlers: Restaurants consider alternative straws from Newsela
The reading level of the articles in Newsela can be changed. You will need to create a free account to access the Newsela articles.