Chapter Books to Read Aloud
Date posted: January 24, 2020
Want to add chapter books to family read alouds? They usually contain more complex stories than picture books and can be introduced before children are able to read independently. They’re also the books that keep the family read aloud tradition alive with older children.
For advice on reading chapter books aloud, read Tips for Reading Aloud Chapter Books (+ What Ella and I Are Reading This Year) from Everyday Reading.
Find ideas for chapter books that are good candidates for family read alouds in:
- 15 Great Read-Aloud Books for Older Kids from Brightly
- 50 Fabulous Read Aloud Chapter Books to Enjoy with Oder Kids. As Voted by Parents from childhood 101
- Favorite and Funny Read Aloud Books for 9-10 Year Olds from What Do We Do All Day?
- My Favorite First Novels to Read-Aloud with Kids from Read-Aloud Revival
- Read-Alouds for the Whole Family from School Library Journal
Chapter books are a welcome addition to the family read aloud experience. But that doesn’t mean that there should be a rush to abandon picture books. As Creative Courage for Young Hearts: 15 Emboldening Picture Books Celebrating the Lives of Great Artists, Writers, and Scientists reminds us, picture books have plenty to offer.