Benefits of Outdoor Play in Winter
Date posted: February 28, 2019
Outdoor play in winter is fun and it’s good for children. There are physical, cognitive and social benefits. It provides exercise, fresh air and Vitamin D (on sunny days). But, did you know it can also prevent illness, develop problem solving skills, provide a new perspective and encourage imagination? For more details on the benefits, read:
- Cold Weather Outdoor Play Boosts Immune System!
- Learning in the snow: How children develop through all-weather outdoor play
- The Importance of Outdoor Play in Winter
- Why our kids are going to play outside this winter, and yours should too, according to science
One concern about cold weather play is safety. For some guidelines on staying safe when playing outdoors in winter, read:
- Staying safe for outdoor winter activities
- Outdoor play on winter days
- Safety Outdoors in the Cold for Toddlers
- Winter safety: Advice for parents and kids
There are lots of fun activities for children to do outdoors in winter. Looking for ideas?