Pathways to Belonging and Influence
Date posted: May 10, 2018
How do you succeed as an immigrant trying to establish your career in Canada? What are the strategies for success?
Pathways to Belonging and Influence: Strategies and skills of the flourishing Canadians, born abroad is a joint applied research project between Calgary Region Immigrant Employment Council (CRIEC) and Bow Valley College. The goal of this research project was to identify common trends, practices and tactics among successful immigrants and determine effective strategies for establishing oneself in Canada.
Interviews were conducted with successful immigrants. The recorded conversations reflect a diversity of experiences. Click here to listen to them.
From the interviews, ten key strategies and practices were identified:
- Be persistent and resilient.
- Work with a mentor.
- Make connections and network.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Learn from your challenges and failures.
- Be flexible and open to different opportunities.
- Research necessary qualifications and documentation ahead of time.
- Clearly communicate your skills and abilities.
- Accept that there are cultural differences in the way that things are done.
- Redefine your expectations for success.
For more details, read the full report here.