How Children Learn Language
Date posted: October 23, 2015
How Children Learn Language is an online video from the NWT Literacy Council that talks about the importance of speaking to children, from birth and even before, to help them learn language. The focus is on laying a foundation at home for an Aboriginal or minority language, but the recommendations are sound for all early language learning. The video reinforces the following messages:
- It’s never too early to talk to a baby.
- It’s easiest to learn any language as a baby.
- Babies learn language from the people who talk to them.
- Face-to-face, in-person interaction is necessary for babies to learn language.
- Every speaker can help by talking to babies in their language.
- Children can learn more than one language at a time.
- Learning more than one language does not confuse children or hurt their abilities in either language.