Who We Are…
Decoda Literacy Solutions is the only province-wide literacy organization in British Columbia. Providing resources, training and funds, Decoda supports community-based literacy programs and initiatives in over 400 communities across BC. Decoda supports children and families, youth, adults, Aboriginal and immigrant communities in an effort to build strong individuals, strong families and strong communities. As a non-profit organization, Decoda relies on the generosity of individual donors, corporate partners and government to fund literacy work.
Decoda is derived from the word “decode,” which means to create understanding; to unravel the mystery – literacy helps us make sense of the modern world.
We work to increase the literacy and learning skills of children and families, youth, adults and seniors to improve their quality of life at home, at work and in the community.
A British Columbia where everyone has the literacy skills they need.
- Determined and resilient in moving literacy forward
- Developing innovative solutions and approaches
- Taking action and risks to address complex situations
- Demonstrating outcomes based on key measures
- Demonstrating responsibilities to ourselves, our clients and our stakeholders
- Focusing on superior quality and excellence in all of our work
- Believing in the potential of people to succeed in their lives
- Taking a strengths-based approach to our relationships and work
- Focusing on getting results and providing relevant workable solutions
- Recognizing the diversity of our clients, stakeholders and audiences
- Demonstrating responsiveness to our clients and their unique needs and circumstances
- Engaging in the process of creating solutions together
Decoda Literacy Solutions was formed by bringing together two local literacy organizations: Literacy BC and the literacy department of 2010 Legacies Now. For 20 years, Literacy BC offered training, tools and support to those who work in adult literacy. In partnership with the federal and provincial government, it raised awareness, developed policy, promoted innovation in practice, built an extensive library, and supported adult learners.
For 10 years, the literacy department of 2010 Legacies Now partnered with the Province of British Columbia to support literacy development in more than 400 communities and neighbourhoods across BC.
Decoda continues the work of both organizations.
For a complete look at our organization, download our community report.